Sunday, June 12, 2016

5/22/16 Life Is Good!

Hey everyone! Another interesting week in Hong Kong... Its really been a little bit of a roller coaster this week. But it ended super super fun! But the point is, that everything works out, not the way you expect it to, but, it works out. And thats how I can describe this week. I think its definitely been a learning experience!

So Where do i start! Lets start from yesterday, Sunday! hahaha so Sunday was really good... So Just kidding, lets start on Saturday, about 7 PM, haha so we had just gone to a district find, and we got a call from our ward Correlator, he had been in Thailand all week, so we haven't been in contact with him since he left, anyways he calls us, and he says "Elder Chen, I got sick yesterday... Can you do me a favor?" And of course, I say yes... Cuz one of the most common response from missionaries is "yes" haha and he says "So i'm sick... Can you teach Gospel Principles class for me tomorrow? Its lesson 25 (Fasting)" Haha and I can't really say no... So I mean thats what I did haha. We had 1 hour tops to prepare for this lesson, cuz we had a lesson right after and then yeah... SO! Anyways, pretty much Elder Petersen and I were freaking out. haha but at church the next day straight up Gift of Toungues, I don't know what happened but the lesson pretty much went perfectly, it started really rocky, but the class was super good! And it felt really good for both of us haha. 

Alright... Anyways... Sorry for that really bad story... But yeah so, this week I figured out why Tin Shui Wai is called Tin Shui Wai (Sky Water Great or Great Water Sky) I don't know what the translation is exactly... But its because it just rains whenever it wants... Anyways, kind of like my story with Elder Walker we got soaked again... Anyways. So What happened was that we were leaving the house, and the weather was fine, a little cloudy, and both Elder Petersen and I got a feeling that we should grab our umbrellas, so we go back to the house, and grab them... Come out, and we go finding for about an hour before we have to come back for english class, and the whole time, its just fine... So we go back to English class when I don't know the only words I can use are... Gravity stopped working and the ocean was on top.... of us... Haha anyways, we go run to the Light rail stop and we get on a train to the church, where we see this guy, and he is just waiting for us, I guess, and he asks us if he can walk with us to english class. He is a Returned missionary, but he had no umbrella... So, I let him use mine, well I shared with him, so the left half of my body just got absolutely soaked... Yup another bad story...

Anyways. I am so sorry ummm. Yeah after Engliish class we were able to play some basketball with some of the youth so that was pretty fun! haha its like 3 wards youth and young single adults so its super funny to see all the drama... There is a girl that plays that I dont know but all of the guys like, so when she walks in, all of them go  straight up BALLER for the girl haha and she just feeds the fire... "Go EJ! WAAAAW!! Gam Leng!!! So perfect!!!" haha and like she loves it its hilarious hahaa Idk thought it was funny...

Cool. So last night we had a fun FHE, A member, Sister Chan, super boss, but she just invited all of these people to her home for a super delicious meal, and it was really good! There is a woman that she introduced to us, named A-Fung, and she is really prepared! So we are going to start to work with her more!! 

This week during district meeting, I was assigned to give a training on something called "The Success Function" it was a training that we got at Zone training, Essentially, they talked about how Success in missionary work is never going to be found in your numbers, but Success in anything, begins and ends with your attitude. I think its really interesting because its true, I shared a quote by the one and only Uncle Iroh "Protection and Power are overrated, I think you are very wise to choose happiness and love, there are reasons each of us are born. We have to find those reasons" Its true, I think a lot of times as missionaries, we get really caught up in our callings, and aspiring, something that I struggled with was that I really hoped to be doing something like Training, Or being a leader of some sort, and when I wasn't either of those, I made it a goal to get my numbers up so that Mission President would see them and think "Elder Chen is the best, Ill give him a calling" And I don't know it wasn't until this transfer where I started to really understand what my role as a missionary truly was. And that was kind of what i struggled with this week, I am now doing my best to become the best missionary I can be. To learn, and the help the people come unto Christ, to love these people more than numbers.The change in my attitude really has made this week more full, and I hope that i can maintain this attitude for the rest of my mission and life. I guess I wanted to share that thought because I think it actually applies to a lot of things, its cool to see how the people of Hong Kong are all so different, and special, and you see that the happier ones are all the ones who are the strongest in the church. I know thats not coincidence, as we strive to line up our lives with the example of the Lord Jesus Christ, everything seems to fall into place. Love you, and miss you! Hope I will have a better email one day.

Love,
Elder Chen 

Picture 1: Learning to cook (Broccoli Beef)
Picture 2: Thug Apartment...




No comments:

Post a Comment