Sunday, June 12, 2016

11/1/15 How To Train An ABC

So. THIS WEEK WAS SIIIIIICK!!

There are so many miracles that happen through the week and I am sure
that they will continue. But we can start with the hard stuff....
Looking like a chinese speaker in a Chinese speaking mission... Hard
stuff hahaha. Funny experience, It is kind of sad but it makes me want
to study harder with my language. But anyways, Elder Gillis and I were
walking along the Harbor one night, just going finding, and I stop
this woman, just with like the regular street contact approach, as we
get into what we are talking about, she notices that Elder Gillis (The
White one) his chinese is better than mine, so she starts talking to
him, and everytime I say something she asks Elder Gillis to "Gong Yaat
Chi" (Say it again) then she said that she wanted him to translate my
"Mh Chihng Cho" (Not Clear) Chinese to her hahaha. It was definitely
not the best experience, but let me tell you, my language study the
next day was like super on fleek. like words can't even describe how
on point my language study was, I made a study goal, and I practiced
sounds and tones, pretty much I was a boss... I felt ready to take on
the world... The Next day... Finding, we stop another person... I
start talking, Elder Gillis starts talking and we set up an
appointement for him. All is well... Moral of the story, is that God
does his part after we have done all that we can to become better!
Haha, so thats something I learned, that I can't just wait for my
missionary skills to get better, I need to maximize all of my time,
haha but since then I have tried to make all of my study times super
good and super bomb.

Now for some Cheesy like spiritual stuff. But its actually the good
kind, so read this any ways... So This week during studies, I found a
super good scripture that goes for not just missionary work but it can
apply to everything pretty much it is 2 Nephi 16:8 and it says "Also,
I heard the voice of the Lord saying: whome shall I send, and who will
go for us? Then I said: Here am I; Send me" Two things I got from that
scripture, something that Elder Gillis shared with me is that anyone
can go on a mission, and then there are ones that serve missions.  I
think thats what this scripture means. When the Lord says "Whom shall
I send" Those are the ones that go on missions. Then the He says "Who
will go for us?" Those are the ones who serve missions. Something that
I have been studying a ton of is becoming a consecrated missionary,
and a lot of what the talks say and everything says is that we need to
lay everything else out on the altar of sacrafice. I think that is
something that I have been struggling with, particularly on one day,
where It was a little hard for me to focus on the misisonary purpose
and why I was there.  When i talked to Elder Gillis about it, he gave
me this super cool quote that hit home for me its about Mountains
(Vicky You will love this) "To those who have struggled with them, the
mountains reveal beauties that they will not disclose to those who
make no effort. That is the reward the mountains give to effort, and
it is because they have so much to give, and give it so lavishly to
those who will wrestle with them, that men love the mountains and go
back to them again and again. The mountains reserve their choicest
gifts, FOR THOSE WHO STAND ON SUMMITS" He said it was the same thing
with missions, because he is on his last transfer, he is trying to
finish out the strongest he can.  He told me that if we struggle and
if we fight to make the best and learn so much from the mission, it
will bless us so much and he has seen it change himself and so many of
his companions.  it was a really cool experience that we kind of
connected on.

Anyways, There were a lot of fun experiences that i could go on
forever. But we meet a ton of new and interesting people one of my
favorite experiences this week was at english class... It wasnt as
much as an experience than it was just a quote from the crazy asian
man that I quoted last week, but his name is neuman, haha he might be
a little crazy, but he comes up to me and he says "Elder Chen, If
Heavenly father wanted to establish his church, why didn't he give
Nephi, a Desert Eagle? It can blow a mans head right of his
shoulders!!" And all elder Gillis and I did was just laugh, I couldn't
even like compose myself to answer him, it was so so so so so so so
funny.

So Yesterday was Fast sunday, and I think I already emailed about the
fast experience I had with Elder Jensen. But Here is a more personal
one that happened with Elder Gillis, so back track a little bit, and
for about three days, we had no numbers, Elder Gillis and I have been
doing everything to work hard, and we got other lessons, but when we
went to the appointments we set up, all of them fell through, so I
fasted for a little bit more success. It was a harder fast but it
really helped us, we could feel the difference immediately, just going
home from church, we met two people who we got them to pray and we
have lessons with them actually later tonight, and they are showing a
ton of promise.  It also helped me improve my studies, and I have been
able to feel the spirit direct me more than ever. So I think it is a
really cool concept, of fasting, it really is amazing how it can work.
Oh another cool experience that came from that fast, was some just
random guy came in to church, and we taught him, and he was suepr
receptive of it, it was super cool. Fasting works, when you fast for
something, and aren't just missing meals, God Does his part after all
that you can do, and when you can't do much because you are hungry,
but you do your best, God WILL reach out to you. It is amaazing.

Um So I love Elder Gillis, but he is crazy... We woke up one morning,
and he is just like "Elder Chen, For work out, lets go running" ahha
so I just think that it would be a little run around the city or
whatever, but oh my gosh he was leading the way, and holy freaking
cow, we see a trail up a mountain and I am already sort of winded and
he just says "Hey Lets see where this goes" and he starts booking it
up the mountain. Oh my goodness... I felt like 100 pounds heavier...
It was like 10 pounds heavier cuz i was straight up raining... But it
was pretty on the top.... Speaking of sweat, haha sometimes we will go
finding, and since it is suit season, we have to wear our suits haha,
we will just be walking and I will feel fine, then it will get hot,
and I will start sweating, but its not a big deal for me... But by the
end, when we got back to the appartment, my suit, was 3 shades darker,
where my bag strap is... its just a huge thing of sweat. Kind of
Delicious!!! :) haha I love it!

The thing with hong kong is that it is literally the most beautiful
place in the world, if you want a city, you got it, if you want
nature, you also got it, if you want raw meat and fish, you got it, if
you want to party, you got it! Haha but the pretty part, is we go
finding everynight from about 6-9:30 so we get to go everywhere, but
the prettiest part, is we go find down the promenade that looks over
the bay and you can see from the Island to Kowloon Tong (Mainland) and
the lights in the city are so freaking gorgeous especially at night
haha It is so pretty, I could walk through every night and not get
bored of it, i absolutely love it so much!  It is pretty, and not to
mention the food... It is so good. There is a bakery in Wan Chai, and
the bread is so good they have something called Nutella bau and it is
just filled with nutella and I am 90 percent sure that they will have
nutella bau in the celestial kingdom. So just make sure you go to
heaven. haha. Anyways that was about it for this week! I love you all
and I hope everything is good! I know its awesome over here!

God Bless!
Love,
Elder Jon Jon Chen :)

No comments:

Post a Comment