Sunday, June 12, 2016

11/15/15 "If You Don't Fill Out Your Area Book, You Don't Understand the Atonement"



- Quote From The District...

Hey Guys!!

Another Beautiful week in the land of Hong Kong, don't worry, still the best mission in the world.  I like pretty much everything about it! Hahaha what can I say more.

Anyways, So, you know how My companion is crazy about running, turns out, he was training me for the real world, haha so anyways I will give some background on this, so we wake up at 6:40 (Day Starts at 7:00) And do what we do until 11:00 and thats when we end our day, anyways, when we aren't teaching a lesson, we have to be back at the apartment by 9:30 and when we have a lesson, we can't be back at the apartment later than 10:00, anyways we had a lesson scheduled for 9:00 and it was in Tai Koo (We live in Shau Kei Wan (About 2 subway stops down) So we get there, and wait for about 15 minutes, and we get a call from him (Robert) saying that he got sick that day and wouldn't be able to come to our lesson, so its about 9:17 ish, and since we didn't teach the lesson, we had to be back at the apartment at 9:30 haha and I had no money on my octopus card (Card for Public Transport) so we couldn't take the subway back, therefore, Elder Gillis just starts booking it.... Like pretty fast, its about a mile and a half to our apartment, and its like 89 degrees with like 70 percent humidity, so it was pretty hot as well haha. Anyways, we just start Legging it there, like my tie is flying everywhere, and my bag is just going everywhere, I think I dropped like 3 fliers... oops... Someone probably picked them up and is going to get baptized or something.... Anyways i am sweating like my face is a straight up monsoon by the time we get there. and we get to the door of the apartment at 9:29, now here is where the kind of funny part but kind of super cham part is, the door guard doesn't believe that we live there... So we have to like go through his records and we explain that we are a missionary housing... So by the time we get to our apartment its like 9:35. I had sweat through my suit... It was super yum looking. haha moral of the story? none, just kidding, make sure you have money for public transport, and when you run somewhere, drop something that someone could pick up and get baptized... #Can'tStopTheWork

SO on Wednesday, we had our service activity, it was called Food Angel, haha its where we just kind of go and prepare food for people who need it, and then they take it out and distribute it. Super awesome actually. Anyways, it was an assembly line type deal and I put lids on lunch boxes for like 4 hours... Thats not the point though, the point is, I got to talk to this one lady who was standing next to me for 4 hours, I got to know all about her family (Didn't understand a lot, but the point is I listened) So I didn't really get to know about this girl, but I sure asked about her, anyways, Elder Gillis and I just talked to her for a little bit, she didn't seem very interested in the church, but we pretty much taught the whole restoration and it was kind of super cool to get her peak interested, unfortunately she doesn't live in our area, but we gave her to the Causeway Bay Elders so you never know.

Oh This week, we had our zone 24's (Zone Exchanges) What it is is that we pretty much change companions for 24 Hours, it was pretty cool! I went with Elder Tseng, he's from Pennsylvania, kind of neat, haha turns out he is like 25 which blew my mind. He was super cool and he has been out for about a year, he was super good to learn from.  Anyways, we stayed in my area (Chai Wan) and because Elder Gillis was gone with another companion, I was senior companion for the day, haha kind of scary, especially since Elder Tseng was way experienced, but anyways, we had a lesson to go to, it was with a part member family that I will talk about a little later.  But it was kind of scary because that meant I had to take lead on the lesson haha. Surprisingly it went super well, I was actually very impressed with how well Elder Tseng and I were able to work together, but the thing is that he is super quiet, so I did a lot of the talking, hahaha kind of scary, but he was super wise and he is pretty powerful.  It was good to be back with Elder Gillis but it was super cool to see how he worked and how different his style was.

Random Fact, haha All of the old missionaries say I am the Missionary Reincarnation of Elder Kang! Haha what an honor ;) haha I rove you :) (Random Shout Out!)

Anyways, The part member family (The Dang Family) we taught is actually super cool both of the kids (Jimmy and Joey) Were baptized but the dad and mom haven't been but the dad (Brother Dang) goes to church a lot. He is super nice and he talks a LOT! haha it was kind of funny how we picked him up, He was actually at church one time and I guess Elder Rawlings and Elder Cox (The other Chai Wan Elders) Hadn't picked him up, haha so we tried to schedule him a few times, but he is a super busy guy I guess, haha but he is pretty super cool! Haha. Anyways the Lesson we had with him was our first real lesson with him, and he is super super super good. Haha It is super coold to like explain a point of the Gospel and watch the gears in his mind just click as he understands, he is such a wonderful man and such an amazing Father! haha Really good!

Something that I have been working on is becoming more consecrated as a missionary, It is something that I have been reading about a lot.  I found a quote and It says "His wants (The missionary), His dreams are over come and swallowed up by his predominant desire to fufill the wishes and dreams of the Lord for him" that was super cool because then I found a quote that vVerina gave me and it says "When we put God First, All other thigns fall into place or drop out of our lives" And that is something that I have been doing my best to do, to make God my first priority, and I can feel that as I have been doing this, I have been able to see the change in my attitude in all this work! I know that I am supposed to be in Hong Kong Serving the people here, and every day I strive to improve. Something that Elder Gillis has told me a lot is that when he first came in, He had a lot of worries that he would go home with regrets or with something he wish he had done, but then he said the most profound thing it was super cool he said something to the effect of "Elder Chen, The reason I am so happy, and the reason i am not afraid to go home is because everyday, I have done my best to make it better than the last, and that is how I know that I can go home without any regrets"  I hope that I can become like that, and I hope that you all will strive with me to do that as well. I love you all, and I miss you all :) God Bless!

Picture 1: The Sweaty Suit, after running

Picture 2: Elder Tseng and I

Picture 3: Sometimes Elder Gillis and I do Role Plays to practice for our lessons, We teach a family.... Brother Batman and Brother Batman...

Picture 4: BAAAAUUUUUHHHH!!! :)

Love,
Elder Jonathan Chen







No comments:

Post a Comment