Thursday, August 25, 2016

8/21/16 Testimony of A Half Way Missionary

Yeah! So this week, good week first off,  I was going to have a violin performance for a stake activity, but then we decided against it and instead I was going to be a Pokemon, and our 14 member district, we decide to recreate the first few scenes of Pokemon, I was the first pokemon that he caught. I wore a green dinosaur costume, who knew that buying a green dinosaur costume would pay off? hahaha it was fun, and All the Primary kids loved it. I almost fell off the stage a few times due to wearing socks instead of shoes.... Fun times. hahaha Anyways so tahts the story of how I am a pokemon... Pretty neat...

Cool. So anyways sorry this email might be a little bit of a shorter one, because I have a lot of stories... but they are like... not good... hahaha but yeah, so this week, the Elder we live with (Elder Aldridge/ Tseng) got Summer missionaries, which is super cool, pretty much Young men, take off two weeks from there summer vacation (ONE MONTH ONLY) And come and be missionaries for 2 weeks, so thats super cool of them, Anyways, one of them is Au Yeung Hing Daih, he's from Tai Po, but I'll call him Andrew (His english Name) So Andrew, is a convert, investigated for 2 years and finally got baptized a year ago, and now here he is haha. Andrew is cool, cuz I got to teach him one of his ABL Lessons when i went on exchange with Elder Hansen in Tai Po! He is super funny his english is super good so we have been teaching him how to talk like a black man. its one of the reasons I have been falling behind in my journal this last week... Anyways I gave up my bed for him to sleep, so I sleep on the couch. (Grateful that our apartment has one) Its so comfy.

Awesome! So, this week actually was awesome! So first off, I want to talk about Man Sin (Pronounced Mun Seen, not Man Sin) So, her mom is less active, and her dad and brother are both not baptized. With that being said, we have been spending a lot of time with her, because I was borrowing her violin, we were able to do some service for her and get one of  the broken strings fixed, we helped her take care of some of her immunizations for going to america for her mission, and we also have been finding her for a lot of lessons, she is willing, so we use her.  Anyways, this week, her Mom invited us to have dinner with her next week, it was a really big blessing, because the ward members have not been able to get in contact with her, so I really am excited for this awesome opportunity. It would be amazing if this wonderful family gets baptized!!

Anyways, this week we met a new investigator. 70 years old, his name is David Wong, and first time I met him, to be 100 percent honest, I thought he was not fully there, I think he may have been a little bit drunk, but who knows, we talked for about 15 minutes and exchanged information, this week later, he accidentally called us, not sure how that happened but he just said he "Accidentally called us" haha, I was able to set a time with him that day (He's retired so he's super free) we met him in a mcdonalds in our area, the environment is not ideal for a first meeting, its loud and harder to feel the spirit, so we got talking, about the location of our church, in Hung Shui Kiuh, about a 15 minute train ride from where we were. I said, "Yeah, if you have interest, you can come over and we can give you a tour" And he said, "When is a good time" Elder Petersen and I both replied "Any time, whenever you like" I half jokingly added "We could even go now if you would like" And his eyes lit up, and he was like "REALLY???" haha so surprised, we got on the Light rail, and took him to the church, we had a good tour, there was a cleaning of the church, so we even got to introduce him to our Bishop, and some youth in the ward, which was really fun. It then brought us to the last part of our tour, which was the Chapel, the doors were locked but luckily the collapsible wall between the gym and the Chapel was not, so we went in through there, when we went in, we let him enjoy the silence as we grabbed two chairs so we could sit with him and teach him our lesson, we were able to teach a full restoration, and leave him with hopefully a good feeling. It was a good thing to notice that he had been an answer to many prayers.

Speaking of an answer to prayers, David Wong is one of the many that I have failed to notice in my life these past few days. As I have prayed for new Investigators, I had always thought of a fly teenage/middle age man, or like someone that I could relate to in some other way, something that could be the means of us getting along, God answered my prayers and taught me a valuable lesson. 1. The Gospel is relatable to everyone, I have nothing in common with this 70 year old man, but when we talked about the gospel with him, it had brought us together. 2. God answers all of your prayers, not in your way, but in his way, that is the way that we must all learn by. This whole one year that i have been a missionary, that Is one lesson I believe that I have learned more than any other Gospel Principle, because I have had first hand experiences with it.  Thank you Everyone for your support, I pray that as you continue through this week, and through these coming trials, that you will remember one thing, that God answers prayers. 

Love,
Elder Chen

Picture 1: Dino Time
Picture 2: Basketball with the Youth (Morning Work-Out)
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment